ATO going paperless – how you may be affected
Your important documents may be sent to the myGov secure website
The ATO has a stated aim of reducing paper and instead sending refunds and activity statements electronically. This will be done securely via the myGov federal government website, where your documents will be stored and can be retrieved at any time.
What is myGov?
myGov is a fast, simple way to access government services online.
A secure myGov account lets you link a range of Australian Government services with one username and password, all in one place.
When you create a myGov account, you’ll benefit from the following features:
- Links your username and password to a growing range of services including:
- Australian taxation office
- Child Support
- Update your address and contact details for major government services in a single transaction.
- Get notified of your Notice of Assessment immediately, and track the progress of your return
- Greater simplicity and speed for you with a range of government services all linked to one account
- No need to store paper records – you have immediate access anywhere, anytime
- Increased security of your financial details
- With your key documents always at hand, dealings with banks and other financial institutions will be easier
myGov, all in one place