Are you an ATO audit target?
Some of the areas that the ATO has stated it will be focusing on are:
- motor vehicle expenses for travelling between home and work;
- overnight travel; and
- the work-related proportion of use for computers, phones and other electronic devices.
Rental property expenses:
- excessive deductions being claimed for holiday homes (deductions should be limited to the amount of income earned, or to the number of days actually rented out at a commercial rate);
- husbands and wives inappropriately splitting rental income and deductions for jointly owned properties; and
- interest deductions being claimed for the private proportion of loans.
- the building and construction industry; and
- the restaurant, café and takeaway industry.
- employers misusing contracting arrangements with the intention of avoiding employment overheads.
Motor vehicle data matching
The ATO has announced a new “Motor vehicle data matching program” to collect details of individuals or businesses that have purchased or acquired a vehicle costing $10,000 or more in the 2011/12 and the 2012/13 financial years.
It will acquire information from every State and Territory vehicle registration authority.
It is expected that records relating to approximately 2.8 million individuals will be matched.
Want to know more? We’re here to answer your questions – contact us on (03) 8888 4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org